Salvatore: A Retelling
“Well, well, look who it is!”
I saw his back first. He had lost much hair. Crumbled paper
around the room made it look smaller, yet bigger than I had seen it last.
“Pardon me, but I can’t recall who you might happen to be.”
He looked… what do you call it? Puzzed? Pulzed? I guess, English just continues
to be tough. Framing it in my terms, it was the kind of face you’d make when
you feel the boat going down, unsure still; it might actually be waves.
“Ah, blame my age. You can’t really ‘recall' my 23rd
year when you see me again in my later. Look at my eyes, Will. What you knew,
knew the ocean best?”
It was dawn in still night that made his eyes sparkle.
“You see, I’m still not good at remembering faces but eyes, and
they’re last I choose to look at. They stay with me when they’re sad.” He looked
away. “Yes, I’m guessing it’s 40th?”
“Ha-ha, you too? Valentine says I look more to be in my 48th
when I don’t shave.”
“He must be old enough to help you around now.”
“Moltissimo! Valentine is twenty-five now; Maximus, a
whole five years to adulthood. Those boys never let me work.”
“You should really leave it to them now. Don’t let the
soreness take too much of you.”
I smiled. You really did forget me right, William. Or was it
ever you saw me?
“Your story, William, about me, I read it.”
“And?”
“It’s beautiful.”
“Everything is beautiful to you, isn’t it?”
“Everything is beautiful. Well –”
“Salvatore,” he gripped my shoulders. I wondered if papa
felt a similar hold, that day when I told him it’s okay, that I was going to be
alright. “Normally, I would have accepted that your abrupt arrival had only to
do with appreciating my attempt. What is it today?”
“I heard you were going some place new?” I didn’t quite
understand some words he said.
“I have lived and breathed Vesuvius for too long. Is there
even after here?”
The fruit had dropped. There was no way I was winning
against him.
“Even, if you find it. At least take some burnt dirt with
yourself.” He accepted my gift with a smile that said he was expecting it.
“I always wanted to know you better, Salvatore. Maybe that’s
why I wrote about you. Writers can look better into people when they make them
play a part. And even before I realised, you were out in the big crowd. Look at
you now, so much more than a just a fisherman.”
“Look at all of us, Will. We’re all fisher people, but much
more, catching swarms of satiation, with baits all individual. “ My vision
blurred as I took his hand in mine. In my grainy, scarred palms, cupping it was
like caging sand in your fist. “Arrivederci, Will. I’ll need to take
leave. Valentine will scold me if I stay out for long.”
“You took longer than I thought you would.” She was leaning
on the wall a few metres away from Will’s door. She would have been successful
in hiding herself in my blind spot, if not for the sudden call.
“Doing Valentine’s duty, are we, Serafina?”
“Do you really think big brother would keep his calm after
knowing that you just gave it away?”
I sighed. “Right, let’s get home.”
Today, home smelled of tomato and herbs. Valentine had his
long, oily hair slicked back and a ribbon went around his neck and waist. Alternately,
there were sounds frying, sizzling and clinking of spatula. Maximus was dropped
something in hot oil, splattering it all over the stove, as well as on
Valentine’s pink shirt. It was the first time I realised that Maximus was quite
taller than Valentine. Assunta was sitting on the head chair, breathlessly laughing.
Whenever I looked at them, I couldn’t help but relax. My sweet family.
“If it isn’t my favourite!” Sera exclaimed.
“What, the food or the apron that you made for me?” Valentine
smiled back at his younger sorella, who was gripping onto his sholders. “As
for that, I wear this so that I do not get my clothes dirty, Max.”
“If that’s actually a
problem for you, Mr. Master Cleaner.” Max rolled his eyes, while hitting the
spatula against the pan, tossing some vegetables. “I wonder if Alessa would
actually appreciate it.”
“What was that?” Valentine yelled. Assunta broke into
laughter, wiping tears off her eyes; Serafina followed, and then did Max.
“You actually said it out loud.” Assunta said, the joy still
tinkling in her voice. As the moon shone like a pearl in birth in the lightless
floor of the sea, the scar on her cheek became a mark filled with mild
lightening.
“So, I am the only one here who doesn’t know who
Alessa is.” Yes, I was anoyed annoyed.
“Dr. Alessa looked after us militants in the service.
Despite being young at medicine, she had great knowledge. But she left the camp
after two years when her brother lost his leg in the war. Then, when I came
back from war two years back, we met again. In fact, she was the one who gave
me this new arm. After that, I was introduced to her again, as the head of our
forensic team. She is the one who takes a physical examination of the human and
animal bodies we retrieve and also helps us get an insight into their health
problems and cures.” The spatula was now kept next to the stove, burning in low
flame, simmering and adding flavour to the soft beans.
“And Miss Alessa has proposed marriage to you?” I asked.
“It was me.” He said. “And she said yes!”
Assunta smiled at me. Our kids have grown so much, it
said. Yes, dear, they have.
Dinner was very joyful that night. As I entered my room, I
saw Assunta smiling at a book.
“I’m so happy for him.” I said, sitting down on the bed with
one leg folded in front, other still down.
“Yes.” She said, retaining her bright face. “It’s been a
long day, you should rest now.”
“Isn’t Alessa Ms. Irene’s daughter?”
“Yes! She was such a little girl when we met her last. Didn’t
she hate Vale back then?”
“Don’t forget their grand wedding by the seaside!”
“Oh, yes! How can I! I was honoured to have seawater in
little seashells for the favours!” Assunta laughed as sweetly as she always
did.
As I thought of Alessa, an image of Irene flashed in the
back of my eye. Despite not having met her for years now, my memory of Irene
was as fresh as a dawn. She would perhaps be 48 or so now, but I still
remembered her as an eighteen year old maiden, who would often look upon the
sea, with my hand in hers. She had an air of elegance, and eyes that were
always full of a sap forestry of love; a forest that grows out of the ocean and
takes its colour. I was madly in love with her; maybe still am. Because
Valentine says that you can never un-love a person you truly loved, and I think
that’s accurate.
It was the summer of 1918 when I first saw her. She had
started a business of home decorating and had childishly requested mama
and papa to let her design ours – you see, people didn’t take it that
seriously back then. And she had made a masterpiece out of our little cottage:
with green and purple vines climbing up our white walls, planks of shades
lighter than those fencing them. Almost magically, what she did made our home suddenly
look so bigger that I actually considered if she had rebuilt the house. And
that was the ice-breaker.
“Ms. Bertoni,” I shyly walked up to her as she was drawing
little patterns on the wall. “Thank you for taking such hard work on your
shoulders. Your work on our cottage is magical.”
“No worries, Mr. Casagrande! I enjoy doing this work.”
Upon hearing this, I was both impressed and shocked.
“I understand that work enjoyed becomes easier, still,
building homes all over again, that too not on a virgin land, must tire you.
Especially when you don’t get enough pay for this enormous labour.”
“Huh? Building? Over again?” She stared at me for some time,
then burst into laughter. I realised I had said something stupid, but I didn’t
quite understand what was it that I said was wrong. You can’t possibly make a
house bigger without rebuilding it. My face was probably red in that course,
but I didn’t know how to react. My hands, too, were awkward, so I just toyed
with the ring I wore on my right index.
“What you said before was actually right. I’m rather a
beautification magician. Everything I touch is turned into something beautiful.
And well, I have my own tricks. Close your eyes.” She said, an excited smile
sparkling her face. I did as she told me to, then there were sounds of things
being dragged and things being placed back.
“Open them.” She put her arm around my soldiers. I felt really
strange, like a drop of stomach? No, more like something heavy dropped on
the stomach. When I did, the room had turned smaller than it was before the
renovation.
“Don’t worry,” she laughed. “I’ll make it bigger again. But
before that, I’ve never known what happens to things that are already
beautiful, when I touch them? Do you know?”
“Umm, I don’t think so…”
“Let’s try then.” She gently took my hand, and cupped it in
both of hers. “So that’s the trick.”
“Um?” I said. That feeling from before was all the more
powerful now. The weight was making my knees melt and I was just delving in
that quicksand of embarrassment.
“The things most beautiful never lose it; but share it with everyone around them. They continue to shine in glory, forever, still giving fragments to the seekers wholeheartedly. This is what happens when you touch things so beautiful. You yourself become so much more beautiful.” What she said to me were the most fascinating words I had ever heard till then. She was indeed a magician.


Comments
Post a Comment