Pacific's Bird Care Services
“Do all things end, Ma Celi?” Heron spoke in small voice.
Entire of him had been claimed by apricity, but his feet, soaked in the lake; but
a couple of strands trailing from his eyes, lachrymal in origin.
“All things that begin, end, Hero.” Celine replied,
directing his chin towards her face. “But how can something, that has always
been there, that never commenced at the first place, but witnessed the coming
of all age, all stars, all you and me, come to an end?”
“And where lies the distinction between the perishable
and the primordial?” Heron noticed the crypts intertwine behind the wall of
saline in Ma Celi's auric irises.
“The sight of mortality is at the mercy of our eyes, but
that of eternity, can be claimed solely by our heart.” Celine smiled. “Come on,
it’s getting dark. Your parents will regret sending you to Ma Celi's if you catch
a cold.”
Pacific's chirps replaced the quietude of the lakeside
cottage as Heron's earthen sillage filled the inward. She landed on his
shoulder. But could his sillage really be blamed? They say aves are equipped
with feeble olfaction. The four-sectioned heart, maybe? Perhaps that’s what
Pacific's met to Heron's.
“She possibly considers you a bird for your name, Hero.”
Celine laughed.
“If that’s why she loves me, I’ll stay a bird to her
forever.”
“Get to the table, Hero, I made you rice crepes.” Celine chuckled
and shook her head to her grandson.
“I love you, Ma Celi.”
“I’m flattered.”
“That’s not the reply you taught me.”
“I love you, too, Hero.” Celine leaned to bless his
encephalon with her portal of knowledge.
“Ma Celi?” Heron said amidst the silent dinner.
“I made it extra spicy so that you’d eat less.”
“And I was trying to be serious.” He said, trying to
trample his giggles.
“Aren’t you too young?”
“Are we mortal?”
“We are the last to be considered mortal, Hero.” She saw
confusion taking over his expression. “Ma Cherie, tell me, do you love my
flesh, or my thought?”
“Your thought, of course.”
“And thoughts, stay. So, when, humans are taken for their
thoughts, how can they be mortal?” Celine saw Helios return to Heron's visage
with a smile. “You know,” she started, “When I was your age, I asked the same
question to my aunt, Aunt Lyn. Then me, and other old souls served congregation
to her wisdom. It seems to have passed.”
“Can I be any more fortunate than receiving wisdom as a
gift on Christmas.”
“Yes, when you receive a token for it. Take this,” She took
out the key she always wore as a necklace and hooked it around Heron’s neck.
“Aunt Lyn gave this to me that evening. It had been given to her by her grandma.
She had asked me to pass it down to the one who could preserve love in the
world. It’s your responsibility now.”
“Thank you, Ma Celi.”
“Just keep in mind that Ma Celi doesn’t like it when her
Hero is sad.”
“I won’t be sad any sooner.”
“I'd like it that way.” She smiled. “Good Night, Hero.”
“Good Night, Ma Celi.”
Alarms were never welcome in Ma Celi's Paradise. Sunlight
always served the purpose, and since two years, Pacific did, too.
“Good Morning, Ma Celi! Merry Christmas!” Heron called
out. Pacific was sedated by the edge of the dining table. “Merry Christmas, Pacific!”
He leaned and said. To his surprise, a piece of paper laid beneath her.
“Playing mail man, are we?” He grinned and stroke the bird gently, who flew up
to his shoulder.
‘Hero,
First of all, Merry Christmas. You didn’t
receive all your Christmas gifts yesterday. After all, the best was to remain
for the day. You know, around two years back, I found a nest while plucking
custard apples. At first glance, I thought it was deserted. But then, I saw a
new born adorning it. She gave me so much peace. So I called her Pacific. I
stayed with her till dark, waiting for her mother to return, but when she
didn’t, I stayed beyond that. She never turned up. So I brought her in. To this
day, I don’t know what this bird it is. But I love her as much as I love you.
Please take care of her. I know I won’t make it tomorrow, and I won’t wake you
up, too. You will get me to some nursing home. But, Hero, I don’t want some extra,
painful hours of life. I want you to remember Ma Celi with a smiling face.
I love flowers, and Plumerias are my
favorite. In fact, I love everything, and everyone. But most, I love you.’
Heron's expressions changed wildly throughout the letter.
He sped to his grandmother room, only to find her still. She was smiling, and
it was heavenly; Godly. He had never seen it before. Perhaps, Pa Row had. After
all, they were together now.
“Ma Celi?” He shook her once. Tears rose in his eyes,
then slid down his morning skin. The only remnants they left were infinitesimal
crystals of salt, and the show of pain. “I won’t be sad any sooner, Ma Celi.”
He said, but his eyes decided to originate continuous cascades. His hands
shivered as he dialled his mother’s contact.
“Merry Christmas, Ma Celi!” Snow never failed at being
the first to wish Ma Celi.
“Ma Celi…”
“Heron? What is it? Get me to Ma Celi.”
“Mom, Ma Celi left.”
“Left for? Where did she go?”
“Mom, she’s at peace now.” The next thing Heron heard was
a deafening clatter, followed by brisk footsteps. He ended the call.
“Please keep Ma Celi calm, content and safe, and give her
the afterlife she wished for. Hail and Farewell, Ma Celi.” He said in a prayer.
“I love you, and will always do. And yes, I won’t be sad.” A little smile had
adorned his face. He heard Pacific's notable tweets at the distance, the one's
that were significant of her meal time. He had seen Ma Celi keep a container in
her bedside drawer, and would give seeds from it to her, at mornings. He did
the same and heard frantic knocks at the door. He opened it to the sight of both
his parents weeping.
The following week passed in respective ceremonies. Heron
tried in vain to calm his folks. Instead, their fights grew bitter than ever. He
had hoped of a solution from Ma Celi, but she was strict on keeping him in the
dark. He stepped out of the cottage, and turned to look at it before it was
locked for a long time. He sighed. Pacific flew from inside and sang in his
ear. “Of course you’re coming with me.” He said, “But I don’t know how to take
care of you.” Pacific intensely looked at him with her small beady eyes, then
bumped her beak to his cheek. A tear landed on it. “Let’s get home, sweetie.”
He smiled.
“It’s just a matter of twenty days, Snow! Please talk
nicely for mere twenty days.” Alistair said.
It was the fifth day of Heron waking up to his parents
fighting. He got up to give Pacific her morning meal. “Great.” He mumbled on finding
the jar empty. He headed to the stairs, prepared for the worst.
“Why did I even marry you?” Snow yelled. Alistair stared
at her with empty eyes, then traced motion along the flight. Heron had his eye
fixed to the ground; his jaws locked; his fists tightened. Alistair gestured
Snow to slow down. He never wished of further compounding his son’s misery. All
the same, when did a warrior succeed in pacifying a blizzard? Perhaps, never.
“Indeed, what we had been missing! Didn’t you tell him
the great news?” Snow roared.
“Heron, listen –”
“I’ll be back soon.” Heron left the living with quick,
hefty steps.
It was just a perfect day. All stores had ran out of flax;
his phone had been detained in his home; his parents were separating. And
lastly (maybe not), he had a bird he didn’t know how to preserve. How could all
stars fall out of place at once? His eyes burnt, reminding him of how much he
had cried in the past few days. Pacific's tweets were more than a
tranquillizer. She rekindled the voice of Ma Celi in his ears. He heard it
again, the same, sugary twitter of Pacific.
“Ma Celi,” he started, “How I grew up listening to her
stories. You know, Pacific, all her tales had two characters, Ajax, and
Snow. When I asked her about it, “All stories are true.” She said. That was
when I started believing in love. But, now, it all feels like a deceit. Like it
wasn’t ever really there. Or maybe, that’s how it is, mortal. Painful. Deceiving.
Corrupt.” Light descended his face, producing the hued arc right before turning
his shirt dark.
“It
isn’t mortal, neither deceiving, nor painful. It was always there, like the
sky, or light, or you. It’s so magnificent that it makes us experience
everything. However, we never close all those doors we opened out of joy.
Through some of them, creep in errors. Errors which the lovers have to debug.”
Said a voice. Heron stared at her. He recalled not being home, but didn’t feel
so. He was in a populous street, and determined it by the warmth he felt amidst
January. The twitters of Pacific was indeed a question. One topped it still.
“What's
our part then?”
“To
inspire. To guide the mislead. To help. And to love, like everyone.” She
replied. It adorned his face with a concavity of faith.
“I’m
sorry, I just – I thought I heard my bird. Hope you have a nice day.” Heron hid
his hand in another. The girl in front was dressed in a pigeon's costume, which
just widened the curve.
“That
means I’ve got better.”
“What
do you mean by that?”
“This.”
She compacted her lips to a circle, and sang in terms of a feathered. He
listened to her with hooded, intrigued eyes.
“You
sing just like her. I’ll call it a superpower.”
“Mind
rewarding me for it?”
“If
it be in my power.”
“Since
you have a bird, you might like taking our Bird Care Services. We know them the
best! And we won’t charge you anything!” She exclaimed. Her scheme made Heron
laugh.
“And the cause of this generosity?”
“I love birds, and I’ve done a non-professional PhD on
them. But my parents don’t let me have one.”
“I see. What’s your name?”
“Don’t you know it?”
“Well, how would I?”
“Well, how did you just say it, then?”
“Well, when did I say it?”
“Well, when – when you, um, you said, ‘You know,
Pacific'.”
“Well, that’s astonishing, because I thought I was
talking to my bird.” Heron drifted his shoe tip along the snowy carpet, making distinguishable
arcs below.
“Pacific Halite Ashbillow.”
“Your middle name is as peculiar as your outfit.”
“Don’t you dare call either out.” She smirked. “My
grandfather said my name completes Herons, Wheat and Sky Kissing Trees.”
“Interesting.” Heron flushed. “Well, my Pacific there is
hungry, we should probably get some food now.”
“Now but I’m not—” She started, to which Heron frowned.
“Oh, yeah, you don’t need to buy it, I’ve come prepared.” She shrunk her face
in embarrassment. Heron shook his head in a delightful disbelief.
“By the Angel, you never told me you had a Goldcrest!”
Pacific cried as soon as she entered Heron's room. Pacific twittered and took
Heron's shoulder.
“As if I knew myself.”
“Wait a minute. Don’t tell me you were feeding her a seed
mix, or flax or something.”
“I—I think she loves flax.”
“Yeah, that’s why she looks so grumpy. Wait.” Her hands
searched her backpack until they rescued a contained of something moving. She
flipped it open and let out a tiny spider. It seemed to have prepared itself
for the worst.
“What the—”
“Your favourite meal, Pacific!” Pacific rushed to her
hand and gulped the insect without thinking twice. “I guess there’s space for
more! Here you go.” She dropped some more of them on her palm. Pacific savoured
it with all her interest.
“You didn’t just give my bird—”
“Yes, and that was what she was screaming for. Arachnids.
That is what will build up her immunity. Take this.” She handed him some similar
containers, which he accepted with disgust. “Switch all her meals with this.
I’ll bring some variety tomorrow. Please escort me out, now?”
“What? Oh, yeah, sure. I’ll follow.” Pacific saw shine
desert his physiognomy. She started walking, twirling at the threshold to
Heron's unexpected eyes.
“But, you must have a name.” she said. Heron walked to
her. Birdie Pacific would have been crushed in such a distance.
“Heron Wheatley Sequoia.” He smiled and passed the door. Pacific
stared after, giddy with admiration.
His home had been empty on their arrival. He heard the
clutter of utensils from the kitchen. With how heavy they sounded, he knew it
was Mom. She sensed his presence, too. The sound of guilt was sure to be heavier.
“Heron. About earlier—”
“I was just showing a friend out.”
“Won't you introduce them?”
“Well, he won’t, because he’s embarrassed of me, but I
myself will.” Pacific said. “I'm Pacific. And you must be, Ma Snow.” She said. Heron
looked at her with an extreme expression. Snow blessed Pacific with the same
smile she bore when Heron was born.
“Indeed.” Her chin shook as she spoke.
“You know, Ma Snow, Heron talks of you all the time. And
not to forget the fairytales of you and Pa Jax.” There was more silver in the
eyes of Pacific than in the lining of morning clouds.
“I'll see you tomorrow, Pacific. Let’s go, now.” Rage
rushed in Hero’s veins. The heat almost grilled Pacific's wrists. His steps
always reflected his mind, and had no chance for serenity, until—
“I'd like to hear some of them tomorrow.” Snow's voice
echoed betwixt the tension. The path before Heron seemed to have tumbled. But,
how can wrath be objectified if it walks not on nothingness?
“Until tomorrow, Ma Snow!” Her voice faded as the door
shut.
“Find your way.” He said. His eyes stayed rather on the
banana peel that had fallen victim to speeding motors.
“Heron, trust me, I—”
“Trust you? With what you just did?”
“And you thought I’d just watch you suffer?”
“You better do.”
Heron wasn’t in place to accept a word. Ire filled itself
in all streams of his skin. But anger wasn’t everything on his mind. If his
mind was at all with him. The better of it was still with the past. Fidgeting
with lids of containers is quite a calming process, until one of them made it
rain spiders on him.
“Angel!” He screamed, while frantically dusting them off
his clothes. Pacific flew in, beak-picking spiders from all places they had fallen
in. She seemed pretty happy. After all, hard earned food always tastes better;
and digests better, too.
“Caging mustn’t feel right, why Pacific?” He sighed. “Yeah,
Pacific. I’m already speaking her tongue. Caging really doesn’t feel
right. Pacific, if you’re pressing so much, I will call her.” Pacific cocked
her head to a side, and chirped bluntly to say, love often blames omens and
metaphors. “Whatever you might say.” He blurted, right when, he received a
call least expected.
“Calm down and listen to me.” Pacific said.
“I’m sorry.”
“Hey, it’s okay. Your actions were justified.” She tried
to hush him, listening to his muffled voice. “Come on, now, explain our plan to
me.”
“Yes.” He giggled. “Okay, so, let’s prep up for tomorrow,
first.”
The morning was unexpectedly serene. Light filtered
through the glass to wake him up with it’s warmth. The warble of cold wind
stirred itself with faint notes of flute crawling into his room. Maybe his
subconscious was playing jacks, bringing forth memories of his father playing it
for his wife. Or was it dawn?.
“Well, I think it’s too soon to break your beauty sleep
already, Princess.” Pacific sat by the counter, with the birdie engaged eating something
off her palm.
“I didn’t expect you crashing by the dayspring.” Heron
said in a somnolent, yet soporific voice.
“Yes, it’s dayspring at awakening. Midday, still dayspring!”
Pacific smiled.
“Midday?-” Heron's eyes widened. He grabbed the alarm
clock just to see needle go past twelve.
“Anyway, Ma Snow asked me to hand you this. I wonder why
she laughed meanwhile.” She sighed, handing him a mug of spiced milk. Currants rushed
to his face, as he accepted his morning drink with shivering hands. He nodded
in a sheepish disapproval.
“Mom seriously asked you to- Ah!” Heron grinned.
“Now this is getting on my nerves. I need to know.”
“Ah na, you don’t.” He frantically left his rest and
poured downstairs. His bolt was rather unmoored, his ankle twitching at every next
step. His ears kindled to a tint precedent to raspberries.
“Whoa, easy, Heron. What’s the haste?” Heron had almost
run into his mother, letting the light bulb she held nearly break. He met eyes
with Snow, his lips pressed hard against one another. In that faded, filtered
sunlight, her firstborn reminded of her lover from young days. It wasn’t until
today than she saw how much Heron had taken to Alistair
The spring foretold the coming of the enchanting summer. The
floor of the terrace extended to intertwine with the canopy of Palash.
Ever-fair, yet humble enough to kneel to a shower of heliotropes. Two kites,
one mustard, another cyan, let the ether chase them about.
“I dare you to cut me!” Snow exclaimed. The two kites
owned the sky with exceeding zeal. Alistair was excited, seeing competition
enter the sport. His hands reached the string, ready to strangle mustard with fast
motions, when he stopped.
“You know, Snow, what this entire set-up of kites – and
kites in themselves – what they actually are symbolic of?” He said. Snow
narrowed her eyes and smirked at him. Alistair raised his eyes to his kite.
“This, denotes life. And I very much agree to this significance. Crafting a
kite so carefully from mild crepe, giving it a bamboo skeleton. It’s right next
to representation of birth itself. And then, when it’s ready, it leaps, under
the control of us, the mind. The mind controls this life with an endless cycle
of deeds. Ultimately, deeds are what connect our life with us, with our mind,
with our soul. The strength of this connection determines how far we shall go,
how high our leaps would be, how much we’d dream. Then again, sky is but an
ocean, with a shoal at next step. A wrong one can have us hostage, followed by
our fall, further devastated by the ruthless zephyr. And I believe,” He moved
closer, constantly looking into her, “I’m not it.”
There was more red in her face than the setting sun; more
radiance than slithering Selene. “I-I
wasn’t expecting a reply such, Alistair–”
“Yes, and you probably weren’t expecting that despite
this,” His fingers traced rapid movements, too quick for Snow to catch. All she
could realise was her kite coursing down through the sky. “After all, I take a
sport for a sport.” He grinned.
She slammed her wheel on the floor. “I hate you, Alistair
Jace Sequoia!”
“Enough to let me down from being the forever face to
your punches, Snow?” He bit his lips. “I can’t believe you could think of
nothing else. Seriously Snow, a kite will never come back to you after being
cut!”
“I never thought about that.” She was evidently
embarrassed, pressing her eyes shut.
“Needless saying, though, that I am moved.” Alistair
placed his palms on her shoulders, reaffirming her. “ And I don’t have words.
But you know, writing cheesy lines on a kite and using it to propose to me is
quite flattering.”
“For once and all, I don’t think asking you to be the
face to my punches, though keeping aside 'shine to my eyes' and 'melody to my
ears', is at all cheesy. And second,” She said, lending him a playful knock, which
he received with an 'ow', “Forever begins now.”
“There,” he took a couple of steps back and knelt, taking
her hands to his. “Forever began forever ago.”
“Snow, are you here?” Alistair resurrected her to
present.
“Huh? Ah, yes – yes.” Snow realised being sedated upon
the dining chairs. They were looking at photo albums. Snow noticed the wrinkles
crowded around Pacific’s eyes. They were nothing different, nor undervalued
than the wrinkles of love she oft saw; in Alistair, and in her own self. Young
love can brew potions of healing, compelling the staid to drink up. She was
ready to soak in, to be called a drunkard; for her cup was filled with philtres,
and it wasn’t emptying soon.
“And this picture is from his seventh Halloween, when he
decided to be the 'God of Herons'.” Alistair laughed to a fancy picture of his
son. He was clawing at his blond hair, holding a plumed coronal. His white
turtleneck made a superior match with the silk tied around his waist.
“No contradictions to the fact that I actually seem God-like.”
Heron remarked.
“Yes, more like a God of Morons than of Herons.” Pacific
almost fell off her seat chortling. The house once again tinkled with homely
laughter.
“You seriously couldn’t think of anything else, Pacific.”
Heron let an exasperated, stern look fall upon Pacific.
“All I thought was at least better than your comeback!”
She giggled. “Yeah, I totally slipped that I got something.” She presented from
her backpack a container on the table.”
“Rice pudding!” Alistair exclaimed. “You know, your mom
loved-“ He paused and stooped his head.
“I love the rice pudding that your dad makes.” She
let her hand repose on Alistairs's. The smile in their eyes twinkled more than their
tears. Pacific clutched tightly onto Heron's wrist, and let her head drop to
rest on his shoulder. “And so does Heron. It’s our favourite.” She said.
“Mom, she did justice to it.” Heron said in a voice half
blurred, owing to his face stuffed with the dessert. “But dad still aces it!”
“So, what else has he told you about us?” Alistair asked.
It was almost
serendipitous for the following forenoons to see the manor welcome quietude.
Heron re-employed Pacific as his personal alarm, the routine flute music was
rather feeble for the responsibility. From day to night, he’d hear hums to 90s
love songs, in such order to which he was accustomed. He was seeing a change. A
change that could never have been possible –
“Without her. Without Pacific. She restored peace in my
life.” He was sitting on his bed, oscillating his legs forth and back. He
pressed his palms against the mattress, taking deep breaths and sighing at
random. Pacific was at her usual spot, snacking on the variant treats her name
twin gifted her for her birthday. She tweeted casually. You’re in love.
“Well, gratitude isn’t love, Pacific.” He rolled his
eyes. But love is many things, one of them being gratitude.
“No, Pacific! I’m not in l—” He stopped as the door burst
open. His heart made deliveries ten times quicker than ordinary, chiefly to his
hands, ears and cheeks. “I-I understand that your new snacks are tasty, but you
can’t overeat.” He stammered.
Pacific flew to the newcomer’s shoulder. Reconsider,
she sang.
“But why do you prefer her shoulder to mine, now?” Heron
said, watching the bird swing on it, alternating her talons.
“Pacific? Do these worms smell of jealousy Oh, it’s this wannabe
bird right here.”
“Yeah, yeah, I’m so jealous that I can’t really explain.”
He said, playing with his pendant. Pacific noticed and squinted her eyes at it.
“Heron, is that Aunt Lyn's key?”
“Yeah, when Ma Celi gave this to me, she said she
inherited it from Aunt Lyn.” He was confused. “You know her?”
“Do you recognise this?” She held up her hand. A ring of
metal on her respective finger reflected the sieved light. “My grandfather gave
this to me. It was given to him by his Uncle Jace.”
“Wait, the key and the ring that are meant to unite?”
“So you too grew up with the same stories I did.”
Their gazes dropped to separate ways. Someone, or
something had finally said what their souls were aching to admit. A truth both acknowledged,
but let ignorance rule, for there’s no greater misfortune for the sand to watch
the sea still. But, when did destiny desert unity? Here, it came as an auspice.
Then again, the realism of omens comes with the promise of heart.
“So, are the stories true?” Pacific said in a small
voice, still looking down. She had tied her hands to a knot, and was scratching
the nail of her thumb with the other. She noticed approaching feet from the
corner of her eyes, warm hands came over to engulf her knot.
“All stories are true.” He said. She looked up only to
meet his eyes. She then knew that never would she need a mirror. For every
time, to see herself, she could just catch a glimpse of him. She saw all life
in the being, maybe the being in all life from now. She could look in those
gold eyes forever, and mend inch by inch.
But they fell. All the euphoria was ephemeral, and was
soon bartered for despair.
“The hearing is tomorrow. What do you think will—” A
Harry James classic cut him off. They raced to the rails, and stopped dead in
their tracks. Snow was spinning on Alistair's index as the saxophones sounded. Nothing
on Earth soothes more than the tears that acquaint joy. Pacific looked at Heron
intensely to say, what are we waiting for? They ran downstairs, hand in
hand. They poised to dance, whirling gracefully to the orchestra that sounded behind,
as the chrysanthemums looked over.
I did your chore, Celi. Now I’ll see you
soon.


Comments
Post a Comment